Columbus Base Forums Community Members options Search Web
February 2019 Meeting Minutes
Joined: May 12, 2007
Location: Dublin, Ohio
|Post subject: February 2019 Meeting Minutes
Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:28 pm
Call to Order:
1300 – Treasurer, Jim “Clutch” Koogler called the meeting to order.
COB John Bethea led in the salute to the flag.
Chaplain Walt Fleak gave the invocation.
Tolling of the lost boats was conducted by Chaplain Sharon Lloyd and COB John Bethea.
Welcome to all by Base Treasurer Clutch.
There were 22 members and guests present.
January 2019 meeting minutes are posted on the web site. Thanks to Jim Tolson for taking the January minutes. There were no changes.
There were two letters from the Veterans Affairs thanking the base for their donation of coffee.
There was also a letter from the US Submarine Veterans Charitable Foundation thanking the base for the $100 donation in memory of Lee G. Mather.
Jim Koogler reported on the status of the Treasury accounts through the end of January 2019.
• $43.00 donation to NJROTC fund from Cliff Dodson (50/50 winnings from January meeting).
• $54.00 donation sent to USSVI national Holland Club to help offset their expenses. The amount represents $1.00 for each Columbus Base Holland Club member.
• 2018 year end report was sent to, and accepted by, the national treasurer.
• 2018 Columbus Base treasury expenses exceeded income by approximately $2,100.00. This difference is generally due to parade sub repair and trailer tires.
• The Legion is asking that we donate some amount to them for each meeting we have here. They are financially challenged (like everyone else) and are looking to at least offset the utility, etc costs incurred for our base meetings
• The VFW in Hilliard might also look for us to pay for the meeting space for our April and December dinner meetings. Such a charge might force us to raise the individual attendee costs for dinners.
• If anyone has some good ideas for helping improve the status of the base treasury, let us know.
Web site is running fine and has been renewed for another year.
• Judy Rinehart, wife of Bruce, passed away on January 24th.
• Frank and Sharon Lloyd attended Bob Well’s family visitation and memorial.
• Jim Koogler attended Bob Wells funeral
• Sharon passed around cards for Bill Wright, Russ Shaeffer, and John Palmer
• Susie Fleak had knee surgery and is doing well.
• All 72 members of the Columbus base have renewed their national and/or base memberships.
• Two of our newest members that were in attendance were Michael "Mac" McVey who was an MM1(SS), and qualified on USS Casimir Pulaski SSBN-633 in 1979 and Michael "Mike" Hogan was a CS3(SS), qualified on USS Whale SSN-638 in 1974.
• All those in attendance gave a brief introduction of themselves to our new members.
• Tolling Ceremony and Submarine Birthday dinner will be Saturday April 13th (the 2nd Saturday of April) instead of Saturday April 6th (the first Saturday) due to availability of Hilliard VFW
• Worthington Memorial Day parade application has been sent and accepted.
• 2019 Tolling Ceremony at Veterans Memorial: Since there isn’t enough time to do this in 2019, we will investigate the possibility of doing it for 2020, or maybe a special tolling ceremony outside the April time frame.
• Inventory status: List was sent to all base members on November 6th. Also included with in the agenda mailing. If there’s anything you want from the inventory, send Frank a list to franklloyd @ hotmail.com with YOUR Name, Book Title or Object Title and Box #. The list was re-sent after the January 5thn base meeting. Let Clutch know if you need another copy sent to you.
• Frank suggested that instead of donating coffee to the Veterans Affairs that we find something that is needed more.
• Donna suggested looking at their wish list.
For the good of the Order:
• Central Crossing had their Spaghetti dinner on Sunday February 10th.
• There are 5 Eagle Scouts being awarded on March 10th at St. Henry. Bob McDaniel is planning on attending.
• USS Columbus crew visit is scheduled for February 12th through the 16th. Tentative schedule available for those who want it. The dinner/social on Friday 15 February (as listed in the tentative schedule) is NOT an open attendance function. It is “invitation only”. We’re trying to schedule a “meet and greet” for Columbus Base. Additional info will be distributed as available.
• Parade sub repair update. The tires need to be mounted on the trailer and touch up repairs need to be done to the sub. This will be completed as soon as arrangements can be made.
• There was a discussion about the Veterans memorial and how little submarine information is available in the memorial.
• Open discussion from floor
o George displayed his Makers Mark Christmas socks and mentioned that Nevada will be dedicating their Veterans Memorial in March.
Storekeeper Frank Lloyd.
• 50/50 drawing – Bob McDaniel won the 50/50.
Announcement of the next meeting:
Next Columbus Base meeting:
March 2, 2019
1200 Social Hour
American Legion Leasure-Blackston Post #239, 700 Morning Street, Worthington, OH 43085
• Closing prayer (Benediction) was given by Walt Fleak.
• Adjournment of meeting by Treasurer, Jim “Clutch” Koogler.
Submitted by Scott Steele Base Secretary.
|| 2019 02 columbus base meeting minutes.pdf
|| 114.15 KB
|| 12 Time(s)
||All times are GMT - 8 Hours
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
Columbus Base Links